History

History

The Faculty of Mathematics and Science was established July 28, 1951 when all fields of natural sciences separated from the Faculty of Philosophy. Presently ca. 70 professors do research and teach in departments of biochemistry, biology (botany and landscape ecology, microbiology, genetics and functional genetics, zoology) geography & geology, mathematics & computer science, pharmacy, physics and psychology.

Renowned former members of the faculty
  • Gustav MIE (1907-1917), Theoretical Physics
  • Johannes STARK (1917-1922), Nobel Prize in Physics 1919
  • Felix HAUSDORFF (1913-1921), Fractal Mathematics
  • Werner ROTHMALER (1953-1962), Systematics of Plants
  • Rudolf CREDNER (1881-1908), Geography
  • Serge von BUBNOFF (1929-1950), Geology
  • Hans BEYER (1947-1970), Organic Chemistry
  • Michael SUCCOW (1992-2006), Right Livelihood Award 1997, Geobotany